I used to avoid movies a lot. Mainly it was a lack of money combined with a lot of stuff that just didn't appeal. Recently though, I've started to watch AMC Movie Talk and my interest in films has been revived. Seriously, if you've not watched it and want to keep up to date with movie stuff it's well worth a subscribe on YouTube! Anyway, what I do notice a lot of lately is remakes, reboots, sequels and reimaginings. Sure, such things have been around far longer than I, but it was the news that Roland Emmerich is preparing a Stargate reboot. Now if, like me, you were a fan of the TV show don't get excited. Emmerich wants to do another movie, but this wouldn't be just another movie, no it'd be a reboot (hopefully moving into more sequels).
This proposed reboot of a series that I absolutely loved got me thinking about why we are getting so many reboots. The answer, I'm sure, must be partially to do with money. After all, what in this world isn't about money? Beyond that though I actually realised that there really isn't much difference between a reboot/reimagining of movies and a new production of an existing stageplay. Anyone who frequents theatres (and I'm mainly talking professional theatre) will know that a new production of an old script happens fairly often. In many cases staging an existing script is a good way of getting those bums on seats and filling an auditorium.
I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to come to this realisation, but perhaps there's some interesting lessons to learn about movies from the directions that theatre has gone in. After all, if we look at the similarities between staging a theatre script and a reboot of a movie, we can see just how similar the two things are.
Stage
-Established character is given new appearance and psychology by a fresh actor
-Scenes, settings and even the script are reworked to make the production more relevant to the current audience
-New techniques and technologies are applied to achieve an effect or spectacle that either wasn't possible before, or to improve the spectacle.
Screen
-Established character is given new appearance and psychology by a fresh actor
-Scenes, settings and even the script are reworked to make the production more relevant to the current audience
-New techniques and technologies are applied to achieve an effect or spectacle that either wasn't possible before, or to improve the spectacle.
Okay, I'll admit that I was so lazy I copied and pasted those point, but think about it they do both apply.
I know it's not an earn shattering thought, but hey, you've read my previous posts right?
No comments:
Post a Comment