Sunday, 25 August 2013

...and then the ambulance arrived

It isn't often that I have had to use first aid. Of course, it is the type of thing that we learn in the hope that we never need to use it. Mainly when I've been called to administer first aid it's been for minor stuff: cut, grazes, the odd steri-strip here, the odd bandage there. Sure there was the injured ankle that required a bit more, but I've never had to call an ambulance out. I've never had to dial 999...until today.

Yep, what started as a gentle walk up to soul cafe ended in calling out paramedics. You know that thing where you watch accidents happen in slow motion? That is what this was. A woman on a mobile stepped out onto the road between two cars, paying no heed to to poor cyclist who was wheeling down the road. The unfortunate result was that the cyclist hit the brakes and her back wheel left the road flipping her face first onto the tarmac. The pedestrian who caused this walked away whilst Omar (a med student as fate would have it) and I attended to the girl who'd hit the ground.

Having got the girl out of the path of an oncoming car who, having seen this accident insisted on honking his horn the ignorant *&%!, Omar insisted that we call 999 and get an ambulance down. Yes, it was that hard a hit on the road.

Fortunately, Omar and I weren't the only ones taking the time to stop, a waiter from the Italian Club ran out to provide us with paper towels to help stop the bleeding. I do have to wonder why the people who stepped out and caused the accident didn't wait around to see if she was okay.

I digress though. Omar, being very concerned (and slightly impatient) called the emergency services a second time and waited for the ambulance whilst I just talked to the girl about trivial matters (why was my accent not from Liverpool? Where in Spain was she from?).

Then the ambulance came. The paramedics took the girl into the ambulance after locking her bike to a lamppost. That's where the story ends. Omar and I were sent on our way. I don't know if she did indeed have a concussion, or if she was just patched up by the paramedics and sent on her way.

Maybe it's the writer in me, but it feels like the story has ended halfway through. There's no resolution to the story, just that thing I'll occasionally wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment