Pete's Journal - 10th April
When I finally opened my hand, my palm was red raw from holding so tight to the pendant hanging from my neck. Why’d he have to go out tonight? He was being reckless. You see, my relationship with Matt is at best, undefined. I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time helping him out with no thanks ever being uttered. The rest of the time I sit at this window just watching. Was this the night he wouldn’t return? I took one more deep breath of the cool, damp air and closed the balcony door. I let the pendant fall from the leather thong, slightly aggravating my neck as it’s rough texture dug into the soft flesh. I shut out the world, closing my eyes and muttering a silent prayer. Just keep him safe. Of course, when I welcomed back the world there was Matt. He always stood there, bold as brass with that silly smirk on his face. Why did patrol always do that to him? Smug was an emotion that never looked good on this man. Arrogance though? Well arrogance looked good on him. I never imagined that an arrogant superhero could look good. He did though.
When I finally opened my hand, my palm was red raw from holding so tight to the pendant hanging from my neck. Why’d he have to go out tonight? He was being reckless. You see, my relationship with Matt is at best, undefined. I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time helping him out with no thanks ever being uttered. The rest of the time I sit at this window just watching. Was this the night he wouldn’t return? I took one more deep breath of the cool, damp air and closed the balcony door. I let the pendant fall from the leather thong, slightly aggravating my neck as it’s rough texture dug into the soft flesh. I shut out the world, closing my eyes and muttering a silent prayer. Just keep him safe. Of course, when I welcomed back the world there was Matt. He always stood there, bold as brass with that silly smirk on his face. Why did patrol always do that to him? Smug was an emotion that never looked good on this man. Arrogance though? Well arrogance looked good on him. I never imagined that an arrogant superhero could look good. He did though.
Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not
a groupie, or fan, or an excitable kid. Maybe I once was, but not now. Right
now I am tech support. At that moment, I was about to get the latest
malfunctioning gadget thrown at me with a list of its problems. Malfunctions
happened every time he took a long patrol. This patrol was no exceptions: eight
hours out and two big break downs.
‘The cameras
are all busted up’. Throwing me both his back up and his main pairs of shades I
took a look. The casing of the mini-cam and the hinge of lenses attached to
both pairs of shades looked as if they’d been struck with a hammer.
‘Let me
guess, you ran into a wall again?’
‘No, some
smart-arse hit me with a shovel.’
‘Well that’s
one pair of shades, what about the second?’
‘Plain old
fashioned knuckle duster.’ He was so blasé about it I could hit him, not that
he’d feel it. Why was he always like that? Matt stepped off and led me to the
kitchen, the brighter lights here always showed traces of his adventures each
night. No normal person would notice of course, but somehow Matt didn’t bruise,
and his skin rarely broke. I swear it would take a train hitting him to get him
bleeding. Not that either of us have tried it out. Matt’s pale skin was
slightly blotched just on the left temple. A tiny patch of red stood out under
his flowing brown hair. If it hadn’t been for the glasses I’d never have
believed that Matt’d been in so many brawls tonight.
Matt crossed to the fridge,
raiding for his usual post-patrol binge of beer, leftover pizza, chocolate and yoghurt.
Tossing each item into one blow, Matt spun to the cupboard, grabbed some
microwave popcorn and nuked the bag. Finishing the single movement he flowed
into the lounge and flopped on the couch. When Matt first came to live here I
kicked his arse for a week trying to get him to eat something decent. I've got used to him though. After all, you can’t
be too hard on someone when they’ve lost their wife. Maybe that was my
artful ability to avoid confrontation though. The poor guy lost his world
though; I couldn’t dish out the tough love. So it just became a habit, Matt
would go out on patrol, come home, binge and sleep. I just had to hope that
sometime soon Matt's stone skin would crack and let him feel something again. Don’t
get me wrong, superheroes should be stoic, but I’ve had this unshakeable
feeling for too long. Matt doesn’t talk, because Matt doesn’t feel. I put the
brakes on the psycho-babble rambling of my caffeine addicted brain and turned
my attention to the problem at hand.
The mini-cams were all but unsalvageable.
Matt wouldn’t be able to go out with these, so it was time to rig the back-ups.
After all: no cams, no evidence. No evidence, no justice. See, Matt manages to
stay on the right side of the law. It was actually my idea. Yeah, technically,
he may be a vigilante, but the cameras that I rig to his shades record
everything. He never initiates the violence…well he did once, but that was
understandable. No hero can be expected to keep his cool in the war against
vacuum sealed plastic wrap. Technically, every time Matt uses violence it’s the
text-book definition of self-defence. You see, when you can’t feel pain, and
for all intents and purposes can’t be injured, well ‘reasonable force’ isn’t
too difficult to keep to. The cameras just provide the evidence that the mark
was actually criminal. I strolled to my work bench; passing the nearly comatose
Matt sprawled over the edge of the couch. How did he fall asleep so fast? I
tossed the mini-cams into the waste bin; I’d have to empty that later, and
reached for my toolkit and two new cams. It didn’t look like the mounts were
damaged too badly. Funny that, the cam lenses and housing were completely
shattered, yet the mounts stayed pretty intact. That should have been my first
clue.
No comments:
Post a Comment