Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Post show blues

I've mentioned before that I've done my fair share if shows. Every show has it's own distinct feeling of course. When you are working with a different group each time how could it not? One thing that I do find in common with all shows though is the post show blues.

When you work with the same people for months on end and then suddenly there's a day where that's over. These people you saw so frequently may still be friends, but you don't always see them that often. It's an odd feeling. It's easy to succumb to a blue moment or two.

The first show I did on Wirral (Little Women, 2011) was great fun. As fate would have it I've worked with most of the people involved in that show again. At the time though I had no way of knowing that. I also had no way of knowing that not all shows generate the same buzz as that one did. For some shows a company builds up and you are all giving your best and thoroughly enjoying yourself. You just feel that this show, and this group of people are special. Of course, these show are only week long performances, and the theatre groups on Wirral are a community. There are names, people that all the groups know of. You get to know people and you do see them again and of course work with them again.

Then I did Puck of Pook's Hill. Fifty-two shows over about ten/twelve weeks. I saw Dan and Fiona more than my family. I spent all my time with them, because there didn't really feel like there was much of a life outside the show. There just wasn't the time to do much of anything else (of course that doesn't include the likes of the stops in alpaca centres, or trips to Whitby abbey, or 'prop' shopping in Leominster).

Sadly, when the tour finished it was back to reality with a bump. For the better part of three months I was buried in Puck and didn't have the time to think of much else. I'll admit, I felt a little lonely. I was back to working solo. I'm back to writing on my own and hitting the phones pitching shows. I know other writers will know how lonely writing can get.

Fortunately, I know of one sure thing to get over the post show blues....another show. I do have to wonder how bonkers I'd be going if I wasn't working on another show right now, or hadn't used the time to catch up with old mates.

Wow, that's a bad post...oh well, the next one will be better. Maybe, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment